Wild Jungle Adventure At The Oldest Church in the Caribbean
Boca Iglesia is a hidden archaeological site located deep in the Northeastern region of the Yucatan Peninsula in the National Park Yum Balam. The area is marked by local and regional history based on its crucial position in the Mayan salt trade routes as well as being the site of the first Christian Church to have been built in the Quintana Roo region of Mexico.
Our knowledgeable crew leads the expedition through the mangroves and into the jungle to discover what few have experienced: the untouched ruins of a Spanish church built in the early 1500’s. The area surrounding the site is uninhabited, the only way to reach this magical place is by way of nautical navigation 40 kilometers form Isla Mujeres.
START YOUR BOCA IGLESIAS ADVENTURE TODAY!
$ 200 USD
Collaborating with local fisherman in the area, we provide an incredible opportunity to glimpse the past, explore Mayan culture and live the untold history of the first Spanish settlers in the Yucatan. Discover the flora, fauna and travel in time to the first church in the region.
- Participants Required: 1- 4
- Age of Kids: 15+
- Experience Required: None
- Availability: All year
- Restrictions: Pregnant women, people with medical problems like respiratory or heart issues
- 8:00 am – Meet at the Mexico Divers shop on Isla Mujeres
- 8:20 am – Boat departure to Playa Pescadores at Punta Arena
- 9:40 am – Beginning of route through the Mangroves Punta Arena
- 10:40 am – Beginning of route to the church through the Mangroves
- 11:40 am – Beginning of the route discovering the laguna and its fauna
- 1:00 pm – Lunch at Playa Pescadores of fresh local fish
- 2:00 pm – Visit the fishermen and view their craft
- 3:00 pm – Return to the boat
- 4:00 pm – Return to Mexico Divers shop
TOTAL ACTIVITY TIME: 8 HOURS
- Bilingual Guide
- Fins, Mask, Life Jacket
- Coffee in the office
- Snacks or Fruit
- Lunch at the beach of typical fish dish ‘Tik in Xic’ a traditional Mayan recipe
REMEMBER TO BRING
- Biodegradable sunscreen
- Long sleeved shirt
5 Frequently Asked Questions
About 25 minutes however this is depending on the weather
Yes we can also offer other transportation in addition to the Taxi Service to get to your flight and other destinations
Yes, however you need to request them ahead of time!
Yes just speak with your captain, and he will adjust the boat speed for your request
Our boats are well designed and in the grand majority of the cases is a sweet smooth ride however is mostly depending on the weather.